Wednesday, April 23, 2014

April 23, 2014

  I'm beginning to think that we have no control over what happens to our paths in life and are all at the mercy of something greater. ;) After a lovely week at my Grandmother's house in California, we had made the decision that we were absolutely moving down there. The trip home was an all-nighter, although it was less quiet than the trip down there..., and we filled the hours with discussion about our plans once we moved down. The plan was to get back to Oregon, buy a travel trailer, severely down-size our "stuff", and move onto my Grandmother;s ranch for a bit until we found jobs and got established. This was the "plan"...
   The day we got home, it was about 9:30 am and the only thing we could think to do was to crawl into bed and get some sleep. Poor Karl had driven most of the night and hadn't slept at all. After a few hours of shut-eye, I woke up to a phone call. Normally I don't answer numbers I don't know but for some reason I answered this one. It was a representative from the Army Corps of Engineers who was interested in talking to me about my application I had submitted back in February. Now, when we were in CA I had received an email saying that the position had already been filled and I was not chosen, so I just assumed that meant I didn't get the job. Silly me! The woman on the phone explained to me what the position was and asked me if I would still like to be considered for an interview, as I was her top candidate. This was NOT a time to discuss this with my sleeping husband in the next room so I promptly said yes. I got off the phone excited and a bit confused. Here was an amazing opportunity to get my foot in the door with a Government agency and yet we had JUST made concrete plans to move to CA. Well, obviously that concrete hadn't hardened yet because a week later I went in for an interview (which went BEAUTIFULLY!) and I was informally offered the position as a Supply Technician at The Dalles Dam in The Dalles, Oregon. I informally accepted the position. The last few days have consisted of finding a home closer to the dam so I don't have to drive a 40 minutes commute every morning. I haven't received a formal offer from the headquarters in Portland but I was told to expect their call this week with a start date, beginning salary, and all the fun stuff that goes along with working for a government agency. This position is considered a paid internship and was only open to candidates that are currently in the process of obtaining their Bachelors Degrees. As I have about 9 classes left before I earn my degree, I was told this would be a good fit schedule-wise and military experience-wise. After I graduate, I could be offered a full-time position, which means I would be eligible for transfers throughout the Corps. I also receive permanent employee benefits such as health, dental, and retirement, and my military time counts toward my retirement! How awesome it that?!?
   Karl is going to be a stay-at-home-dad for a bit while we get established and although I wouldn't mind putting Donovan in daycare again, I'm getting really tired of all the colds and sicknesses that somehow leak their way into the house. And I think Cooper is too young to go to daycare. We've looked a a couple houses and have put in an application for one that we particularly like that has a huge yard and plenty of space for Karl to tinker on his cars. I'm submitting the application today for it. Fingers crossed!
   I can't help but laugh at the way our "plans" go. The joke is "we make plans until God tells us our next step". This rings very true the last few months. I have found that when I seem to get ahead of our "plans" and try to move forward a bit too quickly, I hear in my head "everything in its proper order". I can't tell you why I hear that or who's voice I'm hearing but it seems to settle my quickness and causes me to step back and evaluate the choices I am attempting to make. I am trying not to over analyze the next few weeks and what my job will TRULY be like. I am focusing on the things I do have control over and keeping my expectations in check about the reality of our situation. I am a planner by nature and it doesn't bode well when my plans are trumped by higher plans. With that being said, I feel even more grateful today than I did yesterday for the blessings in my life (even if those blessings are filling every corner of this house with noise!). I can't wait for this new chapter to begin!

V/R
Shara

p.s.
  And yes, we are still in the process of paying off our debt via Dave Ramsey Debt Snowball Plan. In 6 months, we have been able to pay off 5 debts! Onward we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment